[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] RE: Bodyguard of the Czar

Jennifer K. Walker jkwalker1968 at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 4 12:48:59 PST 2003

Justin,

I don't know how much this may help, but my great-granduncle was Heinrich
Zindler, who also was one of the three Czar's Guards.  I had posted most of
this information early in 2002, and received little information.  I do know
this:  My grandfather had a painted postcard-sized photograph of the three
guards in his possession for many years, and after his passing, I inherited
it.  It has been reproduced quite a few times into larger paintings, and he
even got it published in American Heritage magazine a few years back.  I'm
posting this to the listserv, but am also sending it to your personal email
address, with an attachment from the magazine.  I also have a better copy of
the picture only scanned, so if you would like that too, I will be happy to
send it as well.  Heinrich Zindler is on the right in the photo.

Below is the text from the article in American Heritage Magazine, November
1997:

"This trio, with their finely waxed mustaches, may look like performers in a
Sigmund Romberg operetta, but in fact, in the last days of the 1917 Russian
Revolution, they were all that stood between Nicholas II, the last czar of
Russia, and the fury of the people.  The photo of the czar's guards came to
us from Erdman Heinrich Schlender, of St. Joseph, Michigan, and in the
accompanying letter he explains why it is a treasured family memento:
'Father and Mother arrived in America with two baby boys, one of whom was
me.  The guard on the right was our mother's brother, Heinrich Zindler.'

'My grandfather was one of many Germans invited to Russia as farmers, but
the Russians were never convinced it was a good idea.  Soon there were
squabbles.  Heinrich was discontented with rural life in Russia, and the
next thing the family knew he was a personal guard for Czar Nicholas.  I
called an American cousin who assured me that Heinrich escaped death--how we
don't know--and another relative told me that the last they knew of
Heinrich, he survived the Revolution and emigrated to Minnesota, where he
married and had five children.  What is so disconcerting is that we never
heard from him.'

Schlender ends with a cry on behalf of all of us who find frustratingly
inscrutable treasures among the papers left by deceased family members:  'We
should have asked more questions while all the relatives were living.'"

Jennifer Walker
San Antonio, Texas
jkwalker1968 at earthlink.net
researching:  Schlender, Zindler, Steinke, Naderschanske, Kraft, Heinemann,
Krueger, Klemke, Schmit, Schultz

Subject: [Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Bodyguard of the Czar

I was told that a relative by the Name of KARL LIPKE was a bodyguard for
the Czar and that he received the Iron Cross. Prussian Officer; owner of
a Broom Factory in Eichhof, Germany.  Possibly born in Konigsberg,
Prussia; came to USA in 1881. I want to try to prove that.  So I'm asking
for your help.  Would appreciated any help on locating any data on Karl
Lipke.  Thanking you kindly for your assistance on this matter.
Respectfully,

JUSTIN L DINGMAN