[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Family Tree Maker vs Legacy

Gary Warner gary at warnerengineering.com
Mon Aug 16 09:33:29 PDT 2004

Dale,

You raised several issues:

1.  A report can be a very complicated document that contains lines and
other fancy formatting that is probably impossible to export to an email
program.  You can export the text if you wanted to in Legacy, but it would
look much better to simply make a pdf file and send that as part of the email.

2.  If you make a gedcom file of your FTM data, it will import into any
program without re-entering any data or notes.  You need to make the gedcom
PAF compatible when you make it, however, or you will get lots of errors if
you import it into any program other than the one you exported it from.

3.  FTM does not embed the pictures into the gedcom file, and also does not
export the link locations for the photos either.  That means that you
cannot transfer the links to your photos to another program using a regular
gedcom.  Legacy does keep track of the photo links in the gedcom it
creates, but that will only be of help to you if you already have your
pictures in Legacy and want to give them to someone else.  I am not aware
of any program on the market that will take the links from a FTM file and
translate them into a gedcom file.  Perhaps the folks that make Legacy can
gin up something, but that will depend on it they have access to the
programming codes in FTM.  I will ask them about this and get back to the
group.

Gary Warner