[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Catholic Church Records

Bill Fife wmfife at telus.net
Mon May 2 09:03:23 PDT 2005

The house numbers have helped me immeasurably in my research.  On thing I
have not determined is if the house number given is the number of the house
where the child was born, or the number of the house where the parents were
living as I found instances of where the house number given is not that of
the parents.  Was the pregnant mother staying with relatives while the
husband was away?

I have taken some of the early villages in Galicia, where some of my
ancestors lived for generations, and listed the village by house number,
then inhabitants.  It is interesting to see how common it was for married
children to live with one of their parents.  Also to see how often one of
the next generation took over the parents house, presumably looking after
them, and then continued to live there after the parents died.

I am lucky in that all birth records in the Galician church records show the
house number.

Bill