[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Why Did They Leave?

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Tue Apr 22 19:59:19 PDT 2008

I just wanted to add a comment regarding the veracity of family
lore.  I don't think that we should rely on family lore for historic
accuracy.  It may contain components of accuracy but the sum total
may be wrong.

For example, in Darrel's quote, the writer says that her ancestor's
99 year lease had run out.  If that is true, then the lease would
have been contracted in about 1802 or so.  There are two problems
with that.  First, there were virtually no Germans in Volhynia in
1802 to enter into such a contract.  While some farmers started
trickling in around 1816, there were still none of consequence until
the 1830s and the vast majority did not begin to arrive until after
1860.  Secondly, the emancipation of serfs did not happen in this
region until the 1860s.  So, such lease contracts probably did not
begin until around that time.

The way in which the Russians changed laws in the latter half of the
19th century was a complex process that changed over time.  The
impact on the Germans was clearly very negative but precisely how
each of our different ancestors reacted in their decision to migrate
to North and South America may have to remain a mystery.

I say all this not to react harshly to the original author's words,
but rather to simply point out the caution is needed in dealing with
family lore.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca