[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] land ownership in Volhynia

Gilbert A Stelter gstelter at uoguelph.ca
Mon May 18 18:47:16 PDT 2009

I have been wondering about the difficulties my ancestors had in owning land in Volhynia in the late 19th century. Michael Hamm's book, Kiev, 1800-1917, says that 90% of land was owned by Polish nobles in 1861. Is there any study which deals with this question? CAn one find out who the landlords were of specific families?

Gil Stelter in Guelph, Ontario.
My wife and I are going to Ukraine and Poland in September and we plan to visit a number of villages in both countries that were the homes of my ancestors.