[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Origin of given ame ILSE

Günther Böhm GHBoehm at ish.de
Wed Jun 2 16:32:16 PDT 2010

Eduardo Kommers schrieb:
> Hello!
>
> Is there any suggestion of the origin place/country/region where the given name ILSE was more common, out of Volhynia?
> I'm asking this because I found a marriage record in Zhitomir from 1885, the bride was ILSE KOMMERS, anyway there is no other record with the name ILSE.
>
> Thank you,
> Eduardo

Hello Eduardo,
Ilse is an abbrevation of Elisabeth and has been quite common in all
Germany about hundred years ago. Some more centuries resp. decades back
the abbrevations were Ilsebe, Ilsabe and Ilsabein.
Ilse was also the given name of one of my aunts (born 1908, sister of my
father). Also the abbrevation Ilse is centuries older but was then just
in use by the higher nobility. In the central German Harz mountains you
find a river Ilse (and three others elsewhere), a town Ilsenburg and a
myth about a princess Ilse which was hunted by a count Bodo and on
horseback she happened to jump over a deep and wide valley whereas Bodo
crashed down into the depths. The earliest *real* Ilse I found is Ilse
von GERA, born after 1370, daughter of Heinrich V. von GERA, followed by
Ilsabe [Ilse] v.STEINBERG, * abt 1360, + after 1399.

Günther