[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] re: surname Kneller - hints?

Jerry Frank jkfrank at shaw.ca
Thu Dec 6 14:19:12 PST 2001

At 01:51 PM 06/12/2001 -0700, Gitzel, Gord wrote:

>         There are very few if any Kneller's in the St.Petersburg films so
>what are my options:
>1.      the spelling of Kneller was changed?
>2.      they were a religion other than Lutheran (a long shot at best)
>3.      they moved from Poland after Justina was born.
>4.      ?
>
>Any hints at possible places to look would be most welcome

Spelling variants I can see in my printouts include KNILLER, KNOELLER,
KNUELLER and perhaps consider also, because of possible error in
transliteration, KNITTLER / KNETTLER.

I only see these variants after 1880.  Before 1875 there are a few
KNOLLER.  I don't see any possible variants between 1875 and 1879.

It appears most likely that Justina was born in Poland before the family
moved to Volhynia.  Did she have any younger siblings that might fit the
1880-85 births?

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
jkfrank at shaw.ca