[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Ludwigshafen

Jerry Frank jkfrank at shaw.ca
Sat Dec 8 10:11:25 PST 2001

I have not been able to find this place using my resources.  Here are some
comments that may help your search.

Hafen = harbour / port.  As you've indicated this fits the German locations
on the Rhine River and the Bodensee.  It could therefore fit a location
right on the Wisla River since this was a large river with significant boat
traffic. Those in Germany certainly do not fit any kind of known migration
pattern.

There is some conflict in your information.  You state the family was from
Germany / Poland yet the Nieszawa you refer to would have been in Russia /
Poland.  So perhaps you have to expand your search area.

If you consider a possible transliteration or mispronunciation error,
options in Germany / Poland (using http://www.kartenmeister.com/ ) include:

Ludwigshagen in East Prussia near Szczuczyn.

Ludwigsh"ofchen (translation would be "Ludwig's little farm") located near
Lubawa.

To find these with the search at that site, enter Ludwig and it will return
all places that start with that name.

Quite a mystery.  Hopefully you can source some other clues that may focus
the search more.  One last question - do you have the right person on the
passenger list?  Is it a common enough name that more than one might have
entered the country in 1906?  This is especially a potential problem if the
person came alone rather than with other recognizable family.

At 10:56 AM 08/12/2001 -0500, Greg Mason wrote:
>My wife's grandfather came to the U.S. in 1906, last known residence in
>Germany/Poland (from other documents) was in the vicinity of Nieszawa,
>Poland.  (On the Vistula River, between Torun and Wloclawek.)  On the ship's
>manifest, he is listed as having his last residence in Ludwigshafen, ( NFI).
>The only Ludwigshafens I have been able to find are by the Bodensee in
>southern Germany and along the Rhine Rive near Mannheim in west  central
>Germany.  There is no other evidence that this man ever ventured beyond the
>Nieszawa region until he came to the U.S.
>
>Do any of our subscribers know of a location in Poland (probably along the
>north sea or perhaps along the Vistula River) that may have been named
>Ludwigshafen around 1906?  Or any other location for that matter.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
jkfrank at shaw.ca