[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] PASZOTTA / BAER surnames

Gary Warner gary at warnerengineering.com
Sat Dec 8 21:47:46 PST 2001

Kathy,

You will not likely have any success in jumping across the ocean with the
little information that you presently have.  I suggest that you hone your
sleuthing skills some on the data that most likely exists on this side of
the ocean.  For instance, have you looked at the following:

1.  The 1910 and the 1920 US Censuses, assuming that they were in the US in
those years, which I assume you must know since you indicate that they were
in Philadelphia in the early 1900s?  There is a wealth of information that
can be found on the census records.  For instance, the census taker will
have recorded where each of your ancestors that he talked to were born, and
also where their parents were born.  Likely he will only have noted the
country, but he may have indicated the town.  The census will also tell you
if your ancestors were US citizens or Aliens, and the year of their
immigration.  In the 1910 US Census, if a person had filed for US
citizenship, there will be a notation "Pa" which indicates that papers were
filed for naturalization.  You are doing yourself a great injustice if you
do not look at every census for every individual that you are seeking, and
also for their brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, cousins and parents.  When
you find one relative in the census, do not stop looking in that
enumeration district, as there are likely relatives living nearby, and they
will also be shown near your ancestors if they lived nearby.

2.  Do you have any death certificates for the individuals you
seek?  Again, there may be a wealth of information here.  Also take a look
for obituaries, as there may be some good information there.

3.  With the information you get from the censuses, unless you already know
where to look, you need to look at ship's records, and immigration records
for the people who arrived in the US or Canada.

4.  Have you looked for naturalization records?  Depending on the year,
there can again be a lot of information that will be of use to you.

5.  What about old family bibles?  Some of our ancestors kept bible entries
that are much better than the official entries.

6.  Compare your family lore to that of other branches of your ancestry
that you know.  You will be amazed that some branches know a lot, and
others know very little.  Likewise, some branches brought their records
with them, and kept them, while others did not bring their birth and
marriage records, and did not even keep their passports.  You may be very
surprised who does and does not have the records you seek.  For instance,
my grandfather, who could neither read or write acquired his father's
Russian passport from his older brother did not want it, and was about to
burn it when my grandfather grabbed it and preserved it for us.

The key is always to work backward from what you know to what you do not
know, but only take one small step at a time.  Do not make big jumps in
places or in time, because if you do, you will get lost.

Gary Warner