[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Reply: Polish/Russian army uniform

Jennifer K. Walker jkwalker1968 at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 16 22:18:55 PST 2001

Richard,

My great uncle, also originally from Volhynia, ended up as one of the
three Czar's Guards, of Czar Nicholas, and was in that service at the
time that the Romanovs were murdered.  As a result, I have a copy of the
official photograph that was take of the three Czar's Guards, all in
uniform.  I don't know if their uniforms were different from any other
branches of the Russian military, but I'd be happy to check it.

By the way, we do not know if he survived the Revolution, or if he was
with the Czar when he was taken.  It was presumed that he lost his life
as well, but somehow my grandfather heard many years later that he had
lived and moved to Minnesota, USA, and raised a family there.  If that
is true, we don't know why he wouldn't have contacted his own family
that was already in the USA, in Michigan.

My grandfather, who just passed away this past year, immigrated with his
family as an infant in 1908.  He was very proud of the original photo,
which was last in his possession.  He submitted it to American Heritage
magazine and they did a story about it in 1997.  I will send a copy of
that article, which includes a copy of the photo, to your email address.

Jennifer Walker
jkwalker1968 at earthlink.net
researching:  Schlender, Zindler, Naderschanske, Kraft, Steinke,
Heidemann, Klemke, Schmit
from:  Volynia:  Feliksow, Tuczyn, Berezolupy, Luck, Bugrin,
Kathrinowka, Schelanka,  Kartschemka, Buhrinski-Magdan