[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] KRUGER - HUFF (Gulewo)

Jerry Frank jkfrank at shaw.ca
Tue Dec 18 22:16:33 PST 2001

At 07:47 PM 18/12/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>I am somewhat puzzled over a birthdate I show for Augustyne Kruger born in
>Bycz - November 15, 1861.
>The information I received from the SGGEE ged shows a birth date of December
>9, 1861.  Would this be a baptism date?

As Rose suggested, you need to look at the original record.  And perhaps
you need to question the source for both dates.  For example, parts of the
SGGEE ged are from extractions while other parts are from data submitted by
other members.  Similarly, did the Nov 15 date come from a record or from
family practice.

The rule of thumb is, the closer you get to the original date with a
written record, the more accurate it is likely to be.  So a birth date on
an infant baptism record is likely to be more accurate than one on a
wedding record.  A birth date recorded in a diary the day after a birth is
likely to be more accurate than the civil registration record created a
couple of weeks later.  And so on.

The difference in dates is too great in this case but another factor might
be the Gregorian calender vs. Julian.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
jkfrank at shaw.ca