[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Fw: Zahnbrecher

Nelson Itterman colnels at shaw.ca
Fri Nov 2 15:34:15 PST 2001

The name actually appears in the "Dictionary of German Names" by Hans Bahlow
in conjunction with it's origin:
ZAHN (freq) surname for a person with a conspicuous  tooth (or tooth gap): Simon
Zanlucke, (u with an umlaut) Bingen (1348). Cf. knight Burchard v. Bodman called
ZAN, Salem 1235. Older form also ZANDT (MHG zant): Stephan Czant, Iglau 1362.
Hensel Schartlzant (Scharte = nick), Prague 1408 like Wernher Schertelczan,
Brsl. 1281. Also Breitzahn (wide tooth), Scharfzahn, Weibezahn  (wobbly tooth),
Klapperzahn (chattering tooth.) UGer, also Zahnle (umlaut on the a), Zehnle,
Reisenzahn, (rip the tooth) name for a Dentist (UGer.   also
Zahnbrecher  'tooth breaker', Zahnleiter, See  Hausleiter, Leite:
MHG lite, 'mountain slope').

How's that for a description.
Nelson