[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] MEDYN/MEDYNKT

Jerry Frank jkfrank at home.com
Fri Nov 2 16:49:05 PST 2001

At 04:25 PM 02/11/2001 -0500, Christine Dowd wrote:

>I am new to this list. My great great grandfather was Wilhelm MEDYN
>(sometimes written MEDYNKT). His son, Jan Medyn was an estate manager at
>Ciemianka, not far from Stawiski, Lomza, Poland.  Today there are no
>Medyns in all of Poland, and the family story is that Wilhelm was a
>Protestant German settler (the two generations that I can find in Poland
>are baptized Catholic). Can anyone give me insight into German settlement
>in old woj Lomza? Or on the name MEDYN/MEDYNKT? Is this name of German
>origin?

Well Christine - there's not today a single person in Germany with that
surname - at least not one that owns a
phone.   http://www.teleauskunft.de    However, if you enter Medien (a
sounds alike), you get too many responses for the system to handle.

There was a German Lutheran parish in Lomza but most of the Germanic
villages were south of Zambrow.  If this family was Protestant (likely
Lutheran), and living to the north of Stawski, then they wouldn't have had
ready access to a Lutheran pastor and would have recorded their vitals at
the Catholic Church.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
jkfrank at home.com