[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] VILLAGE - SOKOLEC

Irma Cooper irmanator at shaw.ca
Sun Nov 4 09:11:17 PST 2001

Hi Frank,
I wasn't aware that you created maps - Is it for your own personal use or
for selling or sharing?
When I first started out I had no idea where the villages were or how to
spell them.
My first trek was to www.expedia.com  - to the maps - topographical maps.
That gave me the first workable maps in the area I was researching. Some of
the villages I really wanted were not listed, as
the villages were too small to mention,  ei. Dziankowo. I ordered some
extremely detailed historic maps from http://www.genealogyunlimited.com and
lo and behold - their was my Mother's village.
Click of Historic maps Central and Eastern Europe for a sample. They are the
ME200 Series.
Dziankowo is on my maps only spelled without the 'o' at the end.
The village I struggle with - Sokolec (pronounced  Schahuletz)  is not on my
maps. This is the exact spelling taken from a birth record.  It is 1/2 KM
from the Kanibrody School therefore Sokolow is too far.

Regards
Irma Cooper - Edmonton, Alberta
irmanator :o))

As you may know, I have created maps of the Germanic villages in Russian
Poland and I try to keep track of new ones that come along.  Most of these
new ones come from original church records or documents.  I will be adding
a couple from your list.

There are a couple of Sokolec in Poland but not in this area.  I wonder if
it could be Sokolow, about 8 km SE of Gulewo or 10 km SW of Gostynin?