[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] PAF vers FTM

Gary Warner gary at warnerengineering.com
Wed Nov 7 10:20:06 PST 2001

Andre,

I do not know Family Tree Maker, but one consideration is that PAF is free,
and Family Tree Maker is not free.  If free matters, and you also want a
good program (PAF is fine, but has its limitations), then another program
that you should look at is Legacy.    In addition to the many good
operating features of Legacy, a significant advantage of Legacy is that the
original program, as well as regular updates do not require you to wait for
the snail mail,  They are all downloadable for free from the site at
http://www.legacyfamilytree.com/Download.asp

You can upgrade from the free version of Legacy to the Deluxe version for
$14.95US, but the free version is fully functional, and the Deluxe version
is only necessary if you want the additional and very nice features noted
at http://www.legacyfamilytree.com/DeluxeEdition.asp

I get no bonuses for promoting this program, but I really like the program
and think that it is a very powerful program to manage both big and small
family files.  I use it virtually daily to manage the 180,000 name pedigree
database on the SGGEE website.  Several features are

1. You can set relationships so that you can see, on every screen, how any
person that you select in your file is related to you.

2.  The program allows you to easily change surnames, and place names
globally.  This is especially useful if you find after you have entered
several hundred or several thousand names, that you discover that there are
really several variations of the surname in different records, or if the
spelling of a place name that you have been using, is really not the one
that you would now like to use.  Change it in one place, and it is changed
everywhere.

3.  The program still imports PAF 2.3.1 data.  Not even the current
versions of PAF will do that.  If you have older PAF data that has not
already been converted to a gedcom file, then this program will do that.

Legacy may not be for everyone, but I suggest that everyone should download
it and then compare it to any other program that they are considering
purchasing.

Gary Warner
SGGEE