Fw: [Ger-Poland-Volhynia] EWZ/BDC Research

Richard Benert benovich at montanadsl.net
Thu Nov 15 09:12:37 PST 2001

At the end of this note is a posting made by Jerry Frank on Nov. 10 in which
he forwarded to us Tom Stangl's reminder of the BDC documents in the U.S.
National Archives and their usefulness for finding information on people who
applied for German citizenship and left central and eastern Europe during
W.W. II.

I will repeat the offer that I recently made to the GR-Heritage listserve.
I have made copies of the E/G Kartei index, the Stammbldtter  index, and the
EWZ50 index of Antraege from Russia.  So at least one copy of these DOES
EXIST outside of the National Archives.  I am sorry that I did not make a
copy of
EWZ52 for applicants from Poland and Polish Volhynia.  However, people from
Poland and Polish Volhynia should be included in the E/G Kartei and the
Stammbldtter rolls.

If anyone sends me a name, the E/G index should indicate which roll in that
series to order (depending on the accuracy of the alphabetization).  That
roll, if it does in fact contain the E or G cards of that person, will also
give the EWZ case number for the person in question.  With knowledge of the
case number, I can find in the Stammbldtter index (which only goes by the
numbers) the roll  in that series that you should order.  It appears to be a
two-step process.  One cannot gain access to the appropriate Stammbldtter
film without the case number,
and one cannot know the case number without first consulting the E/G Kartei.
I can also refer you to the appropriate Antraege roll (from the EWZ50 index)
if your relative was from Russia.  If anyone would like me to consult my
copies of the indexes, please feel free to ask. It only takes a minute.

It should be said that there is no guarantee that cards for every
person who should be in these records will in fact be there.  So ordering a
film is, in that sense, a slight risk.  If you're not inclined to take this
chance, you can contact either Tom Stangl (TSTANGLSR at aol.com) or Rita
Scheirer (ritabill at erols.com), both of whom are willing and able to do the
research for you.  Tom charges less, but Rita can do the translating for
you, and her fees are reasonable.

Of course, another alternative would be to rent the E/G Kartei film you want
from the LDS, as Tom suggested.  This only means looking up the LDS film
number on Dave Obee's website once you know the appropriate BDC number.
It's all a bit complicated and time-consuming, but I'm willing to help you
get started.

Dick Benert