[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Warsaw archives/Volhynian church register books

Richard Stein stein at enel.ucalgary.ca
Sun Nov 25 21:48:06 PST 2001

I recently sent a request in Polish to the Naczelna Dyrekcja Archiwow
Panstwowych in Warsaw for Rozyszcze Parish birth and marriage records and
received the following reply:
_____________
civil records, the Main Center of Archival Information would kindly like to
inform you that all the archival materials [in Poland] are stored according
their areal affiliation. In the Polish state archives no records are
preserved
for the locations mentioned in your request. According to the fact the
Wolynia
belongs now to the territory of the Ukraine, we suggest that you direct your
search to their archives there. The address is:

Archiwum Panstwowe Obwodu Wolynskiego
ul. Weteranow 21
43024 Luck
Ukraina

signed:  p.o. DYREKTORA, Centrainego Osrodka Informacji Archiwalnej, dr.
Anna Laszuk

With four other similar requests in the last two years, I received all the
records I specified.  I find it hard to believe that the Volhynia church
record books have been transferred to Ukraine in the last six months.  Did I
have the bad luck to have my request directed to someone who didn't know
that materials from the former Polish Volhynia are held by the archive in
Warsaw?

Can anyone shed some light on this situation?

Dick Stein