[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] KISCHINEV, POLLNITZ ?

Jerry Frank jkfrank at home.com
Fri Oct 19 06:48:23 PDT 2001

At 03:46 PM 18/10/2001 -0700, Opal White wrote:
>(1) During the 1800-30? migration of German colonists, was Kischinev a
>"distribution" point where colonists were assigned to villages?

The only Kischinev I can find is alternately spelled Kosyniew.  It is
located a short distance SE of Korzec (Korist), half way between Rowno and
Nowograd Wolhynsk (Zwiahel).  It is a rather small place so I doubt it
would be any kind of distribution point.

I have never heard of a distribution point in Volhynia.  Most settlers came
at the invitation of landlord noblemen.  It is possible I suppose that they
arrived with the expectation of finding work with a particular nobleman in
that area but instead found that his "quota" had been filled.  This is
however speculation as the region to the SE of Korist is not a noted German
settlement area.  We can explore this possibility further if you have a
different fixed location for Kischinev.

>(2) With Warsaw as a starting point would these colonists travel thru
>Pollnitz? Would the birth of a Lutheran child born in Polinitz 1832-34 be
>recorded there?

The only Pollnitz I can find would have been in West Prussia, NW of
Warsaw.  It would not be typical for families to migrate from Warsaw to
West Prussia and then back to Volhynia and/or Bessarabia - though I suppose
not impossible.  It might be more reasonable to assume that the Reimanns
are connected in Pollnitz but that one branch ended up in Volhynia by way
of Warsaw while the other went directly from Pollnitz to Bessarabia (or
vice versa).  Remember though that these are always assumptions until you
have proven them with actual records.

>I have a hunch (naming patterns) my Reimann ancestors, whom I can't find a
>birthplace for and ended up in Bessarabia were connected to the Reimann's in
>Zhitomar area and were planning to join them.

Naming patterns may be helpful in a local area but it is very difficult to
make assumptions about them in widespread migration.  There is no doubt
that there are many familial connections between Volhynian and Bessarabian
Germans so the possibility should not be ignored.

>A written account of the
>traveling group notes "when we got to Kichinev, there was no more land left--"
>the group split up, with some assigned to villages in Bessarabia or found work
>in other areas until they were again united in the Bessarabian village Plotzk
>in 1838. Finding birth records of the child born in Pollnitz may produce vital
>clues of parents birthplace-----my brick wall.
>Opal in Wash. State

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
jkfrank at home.com