[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Franzdorf village in Volhynia, families Krentz and Kelm

Howard Krushel krushelh at cadvision.com
Fri Oct 19 15:25:02 PDT 2001

Jerry and I too noted Stumpps reference to Adamowka/Freienwald, so it is
possible that there is another Frantzdorf in that location(I am not aware of
one but one does not normally expect Stumpp to make any mistakes); the
Franzdorf referred to in the Heimthal records would suggest a location north
of Wolodarsk, i.e. in 1883 the records are verified in Pawlinowka on July
23, July 25 records are confirmed at Alexanderowka by Franzdorf; in 1882
under the baptisms in Franzdorf  there is also a baptism that took place for
someone from Kerkewitz. This would suggest a location north of Wolodarsk.
Further indication of this as the correct location is given in the 1915
expulsion lists where under the Uezd of Kutozowka  the following Germans are
listed as expelled, 13 from Franzewka, 34 from Schura, 18 from Emilewka,
etc.
However in order to check on the possibility of another
Franzdorf/Adamowka/Freienwald I'm off to check the maps again to try to
clarify Stumpps  reference. Perhaps a "Frantzdorfer" will respond and give
us a definative answer.
Just did a quick check of an older Russian map and sure enough south of
Adamowka is a village named Fraynwald(my translation). I could not find my
reference to the Moravian Bretheran villages; this list might help in
verifying this particular village. With the name changes that ocurred and
the brief existence of some villages one does need a number of maps covering
different time periods in order to find specific villages. What a challenge.
Howard Krushel