[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Szklaney Bozynskiey

Jerry Frank jkfrank at home.com
Sun Oct 21 16:45:42 PDT 2001

At 04:08 PM 21/10/2001 -0600, Karl Lenz wrote:
>In the 1820 Uniejow (located south of Dabie) Civil Records, a witness at the
>baptism of my gr gr grandfather was identified as follows:
>
>Pana Filicyana Wizner age 24 w Ucu Szklaney Bozynskiey Maystra Mieszkalnego
>
>My interpretation of this is Mrs Felix Wizner at village (Wsi) Szklaney
>Bozynskiey, master craftsman, residential dweller.  I have been unable to
>locate the place Szklaney Bozynskiey.  Since the mother to my gr gr
>grandfather was a Wiesner, I am hoping to find this place and hence
>information on this likely relative, Felix Wiesner.  Any help would be
>appreciated.

Not trying to be sexist but I think it highly unlikely that a woman would
be considered a master craftsman in this time period.  A married woman
would be "Pani" and a single woman would be "Panna".  So it is probably Mr.
Felix Wizner.

Szklaney = glass (adjective form;  i.e. glassy)

I cannot find Bozynskiey in my reference resources but I am wondering if
this isn't a phrase describing the profession rather than a place name.  If
you can send a scan of the record to me, I will see if there is a better
interpretation of the handwriting.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
jkfrank at home.com