[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Village "Wassaso" Russia

GKobernus at aol.com GKobernus at aol.com
Wed Apr 3 07:58:58 PST 2002

A death certificate for a child of my great-great grandfather Jacobs says he
was from "Wassaso Russia"

He was an ethnic German born in 1804. My guess is that his family immigrated
from Germany or the German area of Posen, Poland to a German-Russian
community before 1800 where he was born in "Wassaso".  He apparently moved
back to the German area of Bromberg/Bydgoszcsk Posen in 1835 where he
married.

The closest I've come to locating this village name is "Wasserau" Ukraine.
Maybe Vasserau, Pryshyb/Prishib? This seems too far from Posen but maybe not?

Any help in locating this village would be appreciated. Even small clues are
appreciated.

George Kobernus
Traverse City MIchigan