[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Important Genealogical Records for East & West Prussia

Jerry Frank jkfrank at shaw.ca
Sat Apr 20 08:05:32 PDT 2002

The following information was provided by Horst Gutsche and is posted with
his permission.

There is a very important collection of genealogical records which I found
yesterday in the Alberta Genealogical Society Library in Edmonton. It is
probably the only such collection of material in Canada or the USA with
perhaps the exception of Salt Lake City.

It is the Dr. Conradi collection of mostly non-church published
genealogical data for East Prussia, West Prussia, Danzig (Old Prussia);
some parts of Berlin and various other towns/localites etc. in Saxony. I am
sure that many German Russians, Polish Germans and others will find
ancestral names and data in the material. There must be over 100 volumes of
material.

The material is all in the German language and includes data from various
centuries - lists of citizens; lists of immigrants, emigrants, etc;  and in
most cases there are indexes at the back of the books listing the names
that appear in that particular book.

This will be a great research tool for many people in Western Canada. I had
heard of Dr. Conradi. He was a physician and died a few years ago and his
family donated these books. The have to be read in the facility.

Edmonton Branch
Alberta Genealogical Society
Prince of Wales Armouries
10440-108 Ave., Room 116
Edmonton, Alberta T5H 3Z9

Tel: 780 424 4429
Fax: 780 423 8980
agsedm at compusmart.ab.ca

Library Hours
Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
3rd Saturday 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. (with a break at Christmas)

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
jkfrank at shaw.ca