[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] location of Adamow, Bez, Parkow, Poland

Jan Textor textor at post8.tele.dk
Wed Apr 24 00:40:01 PDT 2002

Jerry Frank wrote:
> At 12:27 AM 24/04/2002 +0200, Irene Kopetzke wrote:
> > > I have a birth location of Adamow, Bez, Parkow, Poland.
> >

> >No idea as for the location but it should read: Bez. Parkow.
> >
> >In German:  Adamow, Bezirk Parkow, Polen.
> >In English: Adamow, district of Parkow, Poland.
> >

> You are of course correct, Irene and I don't see how I could have missed
> that.  The dilemma however remains.  The only places I can find that sound
> similar to Parkow are all small villages which would not have a district
> named after it.  Perhaps it is in fact supposed to be Piotrkow.

Oskar Kossmann's chart "Entwicklung der laendlichen deutschen Siedlung im
nordwestlichen Kongresspolen (1800, 1825, 1835, 1935)" shows a village
called Adamow about halfway between Piotrkow (Petrikau) and Tomaszow.
According to Kossmann it was founded after 1835.  On my contemporary road
map of Poland it is shown to be on the northwestern bank of the lake "Zalew
Sulejowski", right between Piotrkow Trybunalski and Tomaszow Mazowiecki.  If
we assume that Parkow is equal to Piotrkow (Petrikau) then this might well
be the Adamow that Chris Matchinski is looking for.

Hope this helps.

Jan Textor, Denmark