[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Current Locations

Jan Textor textor at post8.tele.dk
Thu Apr 25 01:22:00 PDT 2002

Bill Taylor wrote:
> Does anyone have any idea of the current day equalivent of the following
> locations and if birth, baptism, confirmation and marriage records exist.
> These place names come from the obituaries of Frederick Carl Luther and
> his wife Ernestine Wilhelmine Schultz Luther and originate from the 1860s
> to the 1880s.  They were members of the Evangelical Lutheran Church.
> Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Ascherbude, Posen, Germany (Frederick's birthplace and baptism)
> Limnitz, Germany (Wilhelmine's birthplace and baptism)
> Schoenlaute, Germany (Wilhelmine's confirmation)
> Stiglitz, Czarniken, Germany (Frederick and Wilhelmine's marriage)

Bill,
Ascherbude is called Biernatowo today and is located about 10 km NE of
Wielen' (Filehne in German).
Limnitz should probably read Lemnitz.  The Polish name is L~omnica and it is
located about 8 km NNE of Trzcianka (Schoenlanke in German).
Schoenlaute should probably read Schoenlanke (o umlaut) and is called
Trzcianka today.  It is located about 75 km NNW of Poznan' (Posen).
Stiglitz should probably read Stieglitz. The Polish name is Siedlisko and it
is located about 8 km SW of Trzcianka.
Czarniken should probably read Czarnikau and is called Czarnksw today.  It
is located about 16 km SSE of Trzcianka.

As far as I know there are almost no Lutheran records from this area that
have been preserved and/or filmed.  For the Lutheran parishes of Filehne and
Schoenlanke there are civil registrations records for one year only: 1874.
For the Lutheran parish of Czarnikau the situation is somewhat better.  For
the period that you are researching you will find baptism records from
1860-1877 in LDS films 1194702/03 and marriage records from 1860-1875 in LDS
film 1194704.

Hope this helps.

Jan Textor, Denmark