[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] RE: Contents of Ger-Poland-Volhynia digest vol1#219-2 AND PRI

Rose Ingram roseingram at shaw.ca
Fri Aug 16 16:21:07 PDT 2002

From: "Diana Kooij" : 15 August, 2002 8:30 PM
> Rose,  Thanks for your info on PRI.  I still have questions:  Doesn't the
IGI contain the same info that would be on the PRI???  If the indexes are
usually in Polish spelling, doesn't that indicate that these would be newer
records
> ie. 1890's or later???  Diana G. Kooij

Diana:

The answer to your first question is simply No, the PRI does not contain the
same information as the IGI.

I believe most of the material seen on the IGI has been submitted by LDS
members.  I understand the LDS have in the past initiated controlled
extraction programs to extract names from various countries and parishes, and
placed these names on the IGI, but nothing has been extracted by them in the
area of Russian Poland, to my knowledge.

The information displayed in the PRI database is the 'type written' form of
the 'hand written' indexes found in various (mainly Lutheran) Church books.
The volunteers have photocopies of these indexes and they duplicate the names
as spelled on the index.    Most of the indexes are the Polish spelling, but
we have some data from a few parishes that are German spellings.   About 1868
Church Records in Russian Poland were required to be written in Russian, and
most volunteers have not attempted indexing any Russian Indexes past 1867.  I
have not seen too many Lutheran records filmed beyond 1885.

This Parish Records Index database is solely a SGGEE project for the members
of
SGGEE.  The cost of renting the films, making photocopies of the indexes and
mailing these to Volunteers across the North American continent comes from the
funds generated from membership dues, hence the database is only accessible by
the members.

Rose Ingram