[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] To all

Jan Textor textor at post8.tele.dk
Sun Aug 25 01:26:17 PDT 2002

Ellen, you wrote:
> Is anyone family with the name Ziebart?
> Also my cousin has passport wherein is mentioned Kopinne, Prv.Wolinia and
> there is also a seal like Wgloswo Sopatki Pow Wabnrzeski.  Can anyone
> help?  Could Sopatki be Lopatki?   Ellen

I don't know the meaning of "Wgloswo", but "Pow Wabnrzeski" should probably
read "Pow Wa~brzeski", ("Pow" is an abbreviation of "Powiat"), meaning the
administrative district of Wa~brzezno.  The town of Wa~brzezno is located at
the coordinates 53.17' N 18.57' E, and just 7 km northeast of this location
you will find a village called L~opatki.  This village could be the Sopatki
you are asking about.  During the partition of Poland these two towns
belonged to the German province of West Prussia, while Volhynia belonged to
Russia, and a passport was probably needed to travel between these places.

Hope this helps.
Jan Textor, Denmark