[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] St. Albans border crossing records extraction

Jerry Frank jkfrank at shaw.ca
Wed Aug 28 19:28:34 PDT 2002

The following was posted by Patrice Miller on another list.  I have glanced
at the preliminary work that is posted on the web site and there are
definitely Volhynian Germans among them.  Be sure to browse the list as
surname and place name spellings are every bit as bad as that for the Ellis
Island extractions.

Many Germans from Russia traveled between Canada and the United States.
Some came to Canada first because ship fares were less expensive and
then settled in the United States. Many tried farming in both the
United States and Canada or traveled between relatives.

If one of your ancestors traveled from Canada into the United States
between 1895 and 1924 then it is very likely their travel was recorded
in the St. Albans Border Crossing Records. These records are very
detailed and usually clearly written and are soundex indexed as well.
They contain a wealth of information. Microfilms of these records can be
obtained from the LDS family history centers.

Because those records are so useful to German Russian researchers, Gene
Jenkins (jenkinsgen at nwinfo.net) has started to create a German Russia
index of the soundex index. Like the census indexes of German Russians
that Gene has created, this is also a massive project. So far Gene has
indexed some G surnames and some H surnames for the soundex codes of
G652-end and H100-H200. But if you know Gene, be sure to check back
frequently as I am sure the list will grow quickly.

http://www.webbitt.com/volga/ships.htm

then click on St. Albans Border Crossing Records
or if you start on the Volga home page:

http://www.webbitt.com/volga/

click on the ship link on the bottom of the page, then click on St.
Albans border crossing records. The census indexes can be found by
clicking on the census link at the bottom of any page.

We are so fortunate to have Gene tackle this massive project!! Thank you
Gene.
Patrice Miller

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
jkfrank at shaw.ca