[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] perplexed as to places of birth

Jerry Frank jkfrank at shaw.ca
Wed Aug 28 21:55:05 PDT 2002

At 06:56 PM 27/08/2002 -0400, Gail Wilson wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>   Hoping someone on the list will be able to help.  I am researching my
>family that was from Russia controlled Poland.  I am perplexed as to their
>listed places of birth.  I know that this did not always mean the exact
>place, but sometimes a general area.  Does it seem possible that the family
>moved around this much?

Some people moved around somewhat frequently but usually not far
distances.  The Warsaw location would require a somewhat distant move.

I have had no success in finding any place remotely like "Zdrananska".  Is
this the extracted version or did you get this spelling from the original
document?  Extracted versions are notorious for major spelling errors.  Be
sure to double check it.

As for Kolo and Kalisz references - these may not be precise.  Reference to
Kalisz could be to the province rather than the city and Kolo could be the
parish rather than the city.  The village of Mieczyslawow could relate to
both.

You didn't provide the surname of the people you are looking for or we
could have checked for matches in the databases.  The proof of residence
would be in the church records which you will have to research to get the
full answer to your questions OR to create more questions.  :-)

>The places of birth are listed on their
>Declaration of Intent.
>
>Wilhelm  born 1871  Kalisz, Poland
>
>Michael   born 1874  Warsaw   last residence listed on ship manifest
>Zdrananska  (help needed locating this place)
>
>Gustav  born 1882   Kola, (possibly Kolo) Kalish, Poland
>
>Emil  born 1885  Mieczyslawow
>
>Thanks,
>
>Gail

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta