[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Surname HIPKE < Platkownica, Poland

Deana Hipke hipke at tds.net
Thu Aug 29 19:39:52 PDT 2002

Hello, this is my first post to the list.

I am researching the HIPKE family, Germans who lived in/around Platkownica,
Poland in the Sadoles/Wegrow Parish, Lublin Province (now Mazowiecki, I
believe). Many HIPKEs came to the US from there between 1900-1907, but some
stayed behind and were in Platkownica right up to World War II. I have been
in contact with some cousins in Germany who are interested in the family
history, but those who had firsthand knowledge of life in Russian Poland are
now deceased, and the family apparently lost much when they became displaced
after the war.

The SGGEE web site has been a great resource for me, especially the maps and
FHL film numbers for the Lutheran church records for that area (which I will
order as soon as possible). Also extremely helpful was the link to and
information on the German Military Grave Registration Service -- I went
there and found four HIPKEs, one of whom is definitely from my line! Just
wanted to say thank you to the SGGEE organization and let you know that my
membership application will be on the way shortly!

Other families from Platkownica, some of whom were neighbors and/or in-laws
to the HIPKEs include: HINTZ, TIMM and JABS.

Is there anyone else on the list researching in this area of Poland?

Deana Hipke
Madison, Wisconsin USA