[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Gnidau, Volhynia

Richard Stein stein at enel.ucalgary.ca
Wed Jan 2 08:32:12 PST 2002

My great grandparents were married on 28 Sept 1882 in Rozyszcze Parish,
Volhynia.  The marriage record states that the bride Louise Kitzmann lived
in Antonowka (the one near Wysoki and Kisielin), Kreis Wladimir, but does
not state a place of residence of the groom Gottlieb Stein.  However I
believe he lived in Antonowka also, and there children were born in
Antonowka.  The place of marriage is given as "Gnidau"  (or possibly
Gnidan).  I found the village "Gnidawa" on Jerry Frank's map located just
south of Lutsk.  My question is

Is this Gnidawa the same as Gnidau, and, if so,  why would this couple be
married in a place so far from their homes?

Thanks for any help.

Dick Stein
stein at enel.ucalgary.ca

Researching:  Stein, Riske, Kitzmann, Schattschneider, Rachui, Abram, Drews
(also Mantei, Glaesel, Passuth, Belter) in Polish Volhynia and Poland.