[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Researching Surnames

eleanorhaas at juno.com eleanorhaas at juno.com
Tue Jan 8 11:47:29 PST 2002

Jerry that is a great idea and hopefully it will help.  I have been using
my surnames in my automatic signature. . . even though all are not German
from Russia.  So this is it and thanks again.  I was so pleased when I
got the map with my grandfather's village on it and somehow through the
web have met Al Kroll who his mother was from the same village
"Wisendorf", is researching some of the same names and also Wendy Adams
who has the same people in her tree.

MEIER (MEYER), SONNENBERG, GRAMS, LUBITZ, HEUER
Wiesendorf and apparently Kilpiney
My grandfather Frederick Meier was born to Ferdinand and Louisa nee
Sonnenberg Meier 1886, but there was at least one infant born prior to
this who didn't live.  Ferdinand and Louisa were married 1883 in same
area.
Other children born to them in Russia Poland were:
Eduard 1889
Ferdinand 1891
Anna Louise 1895
Anna Louise married Otto August Lubitz in Ottertail County, Minnesota
Ferdinand married first Emilie Besel who was also born in Russia Poland;
they also lived in Ottertail County, MN.  Second he married Mary Anna
Elizabeth Coleman.
My grandfather Frederick married my grandmother Ellen Pedersen
(Raubakken) (from Norway) in Carrington, North Dakota

As far as I can tell my great grandfather Ferdinand Meyer came in
September 5, 1895 on the SS Lohn; however it appears that his wife Louisa
and children came less than a year later.  That has been taken from
census records stating that she and the children had been in America 8
years and 8 months while it listed Ferdinand as being here 9 years and 1
month.

On grandpa's declaration of intention he listed Wiesendorf Russia and
reniged his allegiance to Czar Nicholas II but on all other records such
as Census and death records it states Russia Poland.

Anna Sonnenberg, a sister of my great grandmother married the Heuer;
another sister Paulina who never came to America married the Grams.  It
also appears that Louisa's father was perhaps married more than once as
where we grew up my mother's cousin always said they weren't related,
however mother grew up knowing it was her cousin.  Gr Grandmother's
parents were listed as August Sonnenberg and Ernestine Krueger.

Thanks in advance to any who fit into this tree and get in touch with me
at: eleanorhaas at juno.com