[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] SGGEE benefits

Gary Warner gary at warnerengineering.com
Fri Jan 11 10:09:34 PST 2002

Dear List Members:

I cannot help but notice that many of you who use this mail list are not
members of SGGEE.  We welcome you to our list.  As you know, the list serve
that you are reading is a free service from SGGEE.  While it is a useful
place to ask for and receive direction on problems that you are
encountering in your research, it is not the best place to discover how you
are related to other members of the list, or to other members of SGGEE that
are not using the list.

Ask yourself which of the following is a more likely way to make progress
in your research:

1.  You post messages to the list with data about your direct lines
ancestors and hope that others will see a connection to their lines, even
though you have not yet completed enough research to determine the surnames
that link you to a distant cousin, or

2.  You send your pedigree data (including all known cousins) into SGGEE,
and we combine your data with the data from other members of SGGEE (the
database is growing daily and is currently more than 155,000 names,
including more than 80,000 names from original Polish and Volhynian
records).  We then merge your data (match it up with other data that is the
same as yours) with that from others and the original records, and then let
you see how your names are connected to other SGGEE data.  Note that the
on-line database we have developed uses a unique identifier for each
submitter, and the column that notes that identifier contains the
identifier for every person who has contributed to the data for that name
in the database, so it is easy to see who else is researching your
lines.  The database is linked upward and downward so that you can follow a
family up or down in time.  At your request, we will also send you a GEDCOM
file of all the data from others that is in common with your data.  That
file can then be used in any genealogy program so that you can see how
people in that file are related to you.  Note that a free program called
Legacy has the ability to define you as the person to whom all in the file
are to be related, and then by simply browsing the names in the file, you
can discover who is your cousin, aunt, etc without you having a personal
knowledge that this is so.

The choice is yours, but we suggest that you have much to gain by joining
SGGEE (see the website page http://sggee.org/MemAreaDesc.html for what you
are missing by not being a member, and note that even more services are in
the process of development), if you have not already done so.  In addition
your membership fee will help us continue to pay expenses related to our
ongoing extraction of original records

Gary Warner
SGGEE co-webmaster