[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Distant cousins - a note of encouragement

Jerry Frank jkfrank at shaw.ca
Sat Jan 19 09:39:15 PST 2002

In the last couple of days, I established contact with a newfound 7th
cousin.  That constitutes 7 generations of cousins so with the siblings up
one level, our common ancestor is 9 generations back!

How does one do that?

Well, I have been fortunate in tracing my maternal HEMMINGER line back from
Manitoba to Volhynia to Russian Poland to Wuerttemberg c.1560 with
assumptions to 1530.  Early in Volhynia, there was a marriage to a
STEINWAND who also came from the same village in Russian Poland but who
originated from a different village in Wuerttemberg.  Again I had success
with that family, tracing them, via Lossburg, to a place called
Neuenthausen where one of my ancestors was a GALLINGER woman.

A couple of days ago, out of the blue, I decided to do a Google search for
"Gallinger +Germany".  The very first hit was for a genealogy site for a
GALLINGER family at Cornwall, Ontario.  I doubted a connection but explored
the site anyway and was surprised to find Neuenthausen listed in a
historical time line at this site.  As it turns out, the brother of my
GALLINGER ancestor migrated to New York state in the 1750s.  During the
American Revolution, he fought with William Johnson (founder of Fort
Johnson near Schenectady) on the side of the British.  With the defeat of
the British, the entire family was forced to flee to Canada, becoming part
of the migration known as the United Empire Loyalists.  They settled around
Cornwall where I now have thousands of new cousins, many of course now
spread throughout North America.

One of those cousins now lives in Regina and is an active member of the
Saskatchewan Genealogical Society, co-sponsor with SGGEE of the FEEFHS
convention in Regina in July.  I will have the opportunity to meet her there.

We all know that entering a simple surname into a search engine these days
results in too many hits to make searching practical.  A search for
"Gallinger", for example, returns over 6,800 hits - realtors, sports
figures, etc. with no interest in communicating with people about their
genealogy.  Searching for a surname like Frank is even more difficult
because it will return every hit containing the word "frank" as well as one
for everyone with that first name.  So how can you narrow your search.

You need to add words to your search to narrow it down.  A search for
Gallinger +Germany returns only 432 hits.  Here are some suggestions for
improving your success in finding someone interested in genealogy.

1.  Use different search engines.  You probably have your favourite (mine
is Google) but other engines use different criteria in their search process
and you could end up with different results, though certainly many will be
repetitious.

2.  Vary your search terms.  Here are some examples, showing phrases in
quotes, the acceptable form for Google.  Other search engines might use
different formats for phrases so look them up before proceeding.  I am sure
you can think up others to fit your unique situations.  Comments in
brackets after the term are not part of the search.

Gallinger +Germany    (eliminates many of the personal, lists of people,
professional and sports type hits)
"Gallinger +in Germany"    (forces it to look for a phrase that includes
the article;  may be too narrow to return results)
Gallinger +Lutheran    (focuses on religion, often a part of a genealogical
type page)
"Frank genealogy" +Poland    (narrows search to a country but will still
hit everyone with Frank as a first name)
"Andreas Frank"    (takes the search to a unique name)
Volhynia +genealogy     (may get you to sites of general regional interest)
Wolhynien +Lutherisch    (takes you to sites of other languages with info
about your region)

So, make your searches creative and you too may find contact with other family.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
jkfrank at shaw.ca