[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Help!

Jerry Frank jkfrank at shaw.ca
Wed Jan 30 07:43:32 PST 2002

At 02:17 PM 29/01/2002 -0800, Eleanor Minkarah wrote:
>Two aunts left Volhynia in 1913, and came to the USA.
>According to the records at Ellis Island, they lived
>in Jpatlanken.  I can find no record of such place.
>Does anyone know?

Ellis Island records are notorious for errors.  That place name fits
nothing known in Volhynia.  The first thing to check is if the place name
was extracted correctly.  In most cases at the Ellis website, you can move
on to view an actual image of the original document.  You may be able to
get a better idea of what the place should be.

Even the original could be wrong because many place names were written down
as they sounded to the clerk, rather than as actually spelled.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
jkfrank at shaw.ca