[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Alternate spellings (was Seeking information ...)

Stephen H Karlson ta0shk1 at corn.cso.niu.edu
Mon Jul 1 08:02:27 PDT 2002

Thanks for this clarification.

Can you or any other list member suggest some likely alternate spellings
of some of these names?  I did a search on Family Search for Kalbes and
Stankevitz and turned up a number of hits on the Social Security death
index in the States, most of which pertain to cousins known to me, but no
hits on any European data bases, even with approximate spelling enabled.

Adam Kalbes's citizenship petition gives his name as "Adam Kabassa."  The
census enumerator for 1900 listed "Matt. Steinkevich" in Beaver township.
I'm sure there are other variants, casual spelling is not a recent
discovery of grammar school teachers!

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Stephen Hopkins Karlson