[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Polish Lutheran Baptism records

Miles Ertman milesertman at shaw.ca
Tue Jul 2 10:02:37 PDT 2002

Hello,

   I have just started looking at LDS films.  I noticed in two Lutheran
baptism records which are of interest to me, both written in Polish, that
the mother of the child being baptized is referred to as "Gottlieba" or
"Gottlieby" followed by her maiden name (ie. "Gottlieba Breitenbach" and
"Gottlieby Leschert").  In both cases, "Gottlieba" is not the first name of
the mother.  "Gottlieba" in German literally means "God loves".  Since I
can't read Polish, I am unable to determine from the context the meaning of
replacing the first name of the mother by "Gottlieba".  Does anyone know?

   Thanks in advance,
   Miles Ertman