[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Weich Passage to USA

Günther Böhm GHBoehm at ish.de
Thu Jul 11 01:33:58 PDT 2002

Carolpauly at aol.com wrote:

>Can anyone explain why on the passage of my grandmother Bertha Weich to USA
>it says Liverpool and Queenstown to New York?  Where is there a Queenstown
>besides New Zealand, which of course makes no sense at all.

Hello Carol,
Cobh (pronounced "cove") is a small town on an island in Cork City's
harbour, It used to be called Queenstown after Queen Victoria and was
the embarkation point for thousands of Irish who emigrated during the
Great Famine of the 1840's. Have a look at
<http://members.accesswave.ca/~tvor/ireland2002b.htm>.

Guenther
from Hilden, Germany