[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] RE:Laschnitzi,Poland - also Jannow,Volhynia

Jerry Frank jkfrank at shaw.ca
Thu Jul 11 07:08:46 PDT 2002

At 04:46 PM 10/07/2002 -0400, Carolpauly at aol.com wrote:
>Have been unable to find either of these places.  Part of my Weich family
>went south to Klostitz, Bessarabia (Martin), from a place called laschnitzi.
>The rest of the family went east to Volhynia from the Kolo-Babiak area of
>Poland, originally settling around Peresolup.   Can anyone tell me where
>these two place names are located.

Peresolup is easy.  Alternate spelling is Bresalup / Berezolupy and it is
located about 14 km WSW of Rozyszcze or 24 km NW of Luck.

Jannow / Janow is tougher because there are 2.  One is about 15 km WSW of
Peresolup or 8 km N of Zaturcy.  The other is about 11 km NW of Zaturcy.

Laschnitzi is the most difficult because the spelling appears to be quite
convoluted.  You can do your own search at
http://www.jewishgen.org/ShtetlSeeker/loctown.htm where I think the best
fit seems to be Lesnica (pronounced Lesnitza).  I don't see any
particularly close to Babiak but there is one just 3 km or so east of
Kolo.  This one has not been recorded in any resources as a village with
German settlers though it may have been one.

>Also would like to know where in Babiak
>can I find records of this family?  Am interested in any info on Daniel Weich
>and wife Antonia Christine Schulz.

These folks are in the SGGEE database but, as you probably know, there is
no place of origin associated with them.  As far as I know, the Lutheran
records for Babiak have been extracted and these people are not listed
there (at least not as a couple).  Because of the time frame involved, you
may have to search Catholic records in the area as they would have had to
register there before the establishment of a Lutheran Church.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
jkfrank at shaw.ca