[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] A Canadian Surprise - 1901 Census on-line

Gary Warner gary at warnerengineering.com
Thu Jun 6 19:28:29 PDT 2002

Jerry,

The problem I have is that I am told that my grandparents did not live in a
town.  They lived east of Emerson, Manitoba in a place called
Overstone.  That place no longer exists, although I did find it on an old
map some years ago.  I do not have that map in front of me, but it seems to
me that it was about 20 or 30 miles east of Emerson.

One thing that I did discover is that if I enter Emerson on the Canada
Census page, it gives me the District as PROVENCHER, but only lists the 4
sub-districts in the city of Emerson itself as having records.  If I,
however, enter the name of the district in the place of search, that is
PROVENCHER instead of Emerson, I get 131 hits with such exotic sub-district
names as De Salaberry, Hanover, Morris, St. Boniface, Franklin, Grunthal,
La Broquerie, Montcalm, Ritchot, Kildonan, Unorganized Territory, etc, but
still no Overstone.

I guess I need to get that old map out again and see if any of those places
are close to Overstone.

By the way, I did a search for PROVENCHER district using the MSN Search
engine, and it by chance took me to Ancestry.com which has an index of
Hanover and the unorganized Territory of Provencher district (my wife pays
money to Ancestry.com to get to her genealogy data so I was also able to
get to it).  Still no luck in the search of the index to find my Jaeger
family, but maybe if I am patient enough, some of those other people that
are crazy for information will find them for me!

Gary Warner
Gig Harbor, WA