[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] 1901 census and Prairie towns

Dave Obee daveobee at shaw.ca
Thu Jun 6 22:06:58 PDT 2002

RE:

> The problem I have is that I am told that my grandparents did not live in
> town.  They lived east of Emerson, Manitoba in a place called
> Overstone.  That place no longer exists, although I did find it on an old
> map some years ago.  I do not have that map in front of me, but it seems
> me that it was about 20 or 30 miles east of Emerson.

If you're looking for it in the 1901 census you could check for adjacent
towns, bigger towns, districts with funny names, etc. for hours.

Or, check the Manitoba volume of the Gazetteer of Canada. It has an
Overstoneville (not Overstone) northeast of Emerson, at 32 - 1 - 5 - E. That
means Overstoneville is in section 32, township 1, range 5, east of the
principal meridian.

Then go to the handy book called Back to the Land, compiled by yours truly,
which relates all Prairie land descriptions to census sub-districts. Look up
T1 R5 E1. The book tells you that T1 R5 E1 is in the Franklin sub-district
of the Provencher district.

Of course, the section number is in the top row, which means that if they
were a mile north of Overstoneville, they would be in a different township,
namely T2 R5 E1. The good news is that that is also in Franklin.

How's that?

Dave Obee, Victoria.