[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Changes in 19th century Europe; was Re: Going Brain Dead Already

Jerry Frank jkfrank at shaw.ca
Thu Jun 20 08:19:30 PDT 2002

Even though you don't want to read a book, I highly recommend that you go
to your library in the hope of finding "Historical Atlas of East Central
Europe" by Paul Magocsi.  A picture is worth a thousand words that only
take a few pages, not an entire book.  The maps are in colour showing
changes in various time periods.  Brief descriptions are included.  You
don't have to memorize detailed dates or events or read detail nor remember
the precise location of borders but I think the visualization of the maps
will help you to understand.

Briefly:  For most of the 120 years from the latter part of the 1700s
through to WW I, east central Europe was controlled by 3 nations - Prussia
(later became Germany) to the north and west, Russia to the east, and the
Austro-Hungarian Empire to the south.  Poland ceased to exist as an
independent nation though parts of it controlled by Russia and Austria did
operate with some semi-autonomy.

If you have exit documents from these countries, you will probably find
them referred to as described above - Prussia (or Germany), Russia, or
Austria.  However, references about these places in other locations might
take a different form.

That part of Poland controlled by Russia is often referred to as the
Kingdom of Poland, Congress Poland, or the Vistula Territory.

That part of Poland controlled by Prussia may be referred to as Poland
though not often.

That part of Poland controlled by Austria is referred to as Galicia.

Then in all of this mess, keep in mind the distinction between ethnic and
political boundaries.  Someone with Polish ethnicity living in Galicia
might report later that he was born in Poland.

Also keep in mind the timing of the document.  Suppose someone is born in
Russia before WW I.  After WW I, that village is in Poland.  The emigrant
becomes naturalized in Canada after WW I.  Should he report his village as
being in Russia or in Poland?  You could find either.

At 02:23 AM 20/06/2002 -0400, DonnamarieBoyer at aol.com wrote:
>I hated history when young and now somehow its
>haunting me. What I missed learning out there. My question is........since
>all these places have changed...Austria, Poland, Hungary ect.

<SNIP>

>Please dont tell me
>to read a book of the Austrian-Hungarian Empire or that stuff cause my mind
>cant suck it in. Its all too complicated for me. If someone can explain nice
>and easy.......I hope that I can understand. Im greatful in advance for any
>help from this request. God Bless, Donnamarie

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
jkfrank at shaw.ca