[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Location of Saretski/Saretsche, Volhynia?

Jerry Frank jkfrank at shaw.ca
Fri Mar 15 10:25:05 PST 2002

At 10:24 AM 15/03/2002 -0700, Miles Ertman wrote:

>I asked this question before and the replies (thanks!) were that
>Saretski/Saretsche was actually Sorotschin.  I was looking on a map and
>Sorotschin seems to be a long way from where Saretsche/Saretski is.
>Saretsche/Saretski is about 25 miles from Solomiak or Janowka (near
>Kostopol, Volhynia).  My grandmother lived in Janowka, went to school in
>Solomiak, was married in Lucinow Baptist Church, and her father also had a
>farm in Saretsche/Saretski which she said was about 25 miles away.  It took
>her, as a child, a whole day to walk there.  These places are most likely
>all fairly close to each other.  Perhaps Saretski/Saretsche was just a
>scattering of farms similar to Licinow?

I don't remember seeing the original posting.

I cannot find a place with that spelling.  The closest spelling is probably
Zarech'ye of which there are numerous locations in Ukraine, several in
Volhynia.  The closest I can find is Zarech'ye / Zariecze / Zacerkowie
about 30 miles NE of Janowka (straight line, so much further by roads and
trails).  This is about 8 km N of Andrejewka-Emiltschinskaja and 8 km W of
Kischin, known German settlements.

A scattering of farms is often named on old maps but a 25 mile radius is
just too big to try to browse manually.  It would be helpful if you knew a
general direction away from Janowka or if you knew the name of another
nearby village.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
jkfrank at shaw.ca