[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Re: Ger-Poland-Volhynia digest, Vol 1 #132 - 1 msg

Gary Warner gary at warnerengineering.com
Thu Mar 28 08:18:17 PST 2002

Suzanne,

The best way to keep children in the correct family is to start out that
way.  If there is an illegitimate child, then make a family only with the
child and the mother.  If she has several illegitimate children, then make
several families with only the mother and one child in each family, unless
you know for sure that the same father was involved in each case.  There
are several genealogy programs (Legacy for one) that will allow you to
attach children to more than one family (ie., a birth family and also an
adopted family, but for tracing family lines it makes a real mess of your
database.  The problem is that the genealogy program does not know which
set of parents to show in the pedigree view.  You are better off to keep
the children with their birth parents unless you do not intend to trace the
birth parents of an adopted child.

Gary Warner