[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] trip to Ukraine

Diane Smith Diane_Smith at beavton.k12.or.us
Fri May 31 08:52:35 PDT 2002

My father and I will be traveling this summer to the Ukraine to visit the
villages where our German ancestors lived. With the help of Jerry Frank we
have located the Besserabian villages of Jacobstal (Laso) and
Mathildendorf (Showtnewoje) and their current names on a current map.  The
last village they lived in was Dhzoncoi in the Crimea.  Today this is a
major city. Has anyone traveled there recently that could inform us of
where the "old Dhzoncoi" was located in relationship to the developed
city.  My grandmother used to say the Germans lived in "Old Dhzoncoi" and
the Russians lived in New Dhzoncoi. Any information would be helpful.  Our
family name in the Ukraine was Betz, it was changed in Canada to Batch or
Betch.  Thanks Diane Smith