[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Heard of Zevirin Volhynia?

Jerry Frank jkfrank at shaw.ca
Tue Nov 12 12:13:54 PST 2002

Been away on holidays so late response on this.

As with Richard, I cannot verify that Zeverin = Sewerinowka though the
connection seems reasonable.  I can tell you that the Sewerinowka he refers
to is alternately known as Berezowka Sewerinowka, located on the east bank
of the Bucza River, on the north side of the highway between Kiev and
Zhitomir.  This is about 36 km or so west of Kiev.

It is also conceivable that Zeverin as a place of birth is not even in
Volhynia or that it is not near Zhitomir as suggested by the marriage record.

I cannot offer anything better for Horoschel.  It is important for this
place that you look at the handwritten version of the Ellis Island record
to see if the name was extracted correctly.  That may verify if the last
letter should be a k instead of an l.

At 10:28 PM 02/11/2002 -0500, Richard Benert wrote:
>Doris,
>
>This may or may not be helpful to you, but here goes anyway.  On a list of
>German colonies in Russia which I have there occurs a Sewerinowka in the
>Parish of Radomysl.  Radomysl itself is about 50 km northeast of Zhitomir.
>Sewerinowka (which may or may not be your "Zeverin", but I suspect it is) is
>not on the Stumpp map, but obviously would not be too far from Radomysl.
>Your other town, "Horoschel", may possibly be a town about 60 km west (and
>slightly north) of Radomysl, identified on the Stumpp map (and others) as
>Wolodarsk.  Polish maps call it Horoszki.  Germans in the area that I have
>talked to referred to it as something like "Roschek" or "Horoschek".  This
>requires replacing the "l" at the end of the name by a "k", which would not
>be out of the question, given how handwritten "k"s can sometimes have very
>tiny loops at the bottom, making them look like "l"s.
>
>Please take this as a hypothesis, not as gospel truth.  You may be able to
>find your Z(s)everin on the Jewishgen.org Stetle-finder.
>
>Dick

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
jkfrank at shaw.ca