[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Fw: Die Kartei Quassowski

Günther Böhm GHBoehm at ish.de
Sat Nov 30 04:16:53 PST 2002

Gary Warner schrieb:

 > the Shtetl Seeker will come up with a place called SOWINA BLOTNA that
 > is 138.9 miles west of Warsaw.  You are probably saying so what at
 > this point, but keep in mind that a lot of German villages no longer
 > have German names, so it is possible that this might also be
 > Sophenfield, especially since the Shetl Seeker usually makes a
 > connection like this based on some evidence to connect the names.
 > This place in not in what we would normally think of as East Prussian
 > but note the coordinates of this SOWINA BLOTNA anyway as
 > latitude 51 degrees 50 minutes and longitude 17 degrees 48 minutes.

Hello Andy and Gary,
Sowina was indeed a village in the Prussian province of Posen, district
of Pleschen. The LDS have even microfilms of it. So the ancestor could
have easily served in an East Prussian garrison such as Osterode which
was a quite famous one.

Go to www.pilot.pl and enter SOWINA BLOTNA. You will get both villages
SOWINA and just 2 km east of it SOWINA BLOTNA. Though I just know this
name in official German use, it could have been temporarily translated
into German. By the way, BLOTNA, from Polish boloto [swamp, marsh] means
marshy, wet. Maybe SOWINA BLOTNA [owl swamp] is identical with SOWINKA
which is listed by www.kartenmeister.com with the same coordinates and
within the Pleschen district but without further details and which is
not covered by www.pilot.pl.

Guenther
from Hilden, Germany