[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Searching Honig/Boehlke - Baranowka

Jerry Frank jkfrank at shaw.ca
Fri Oct 4 14:20:58 PDT 2002

At 01:38 PM 02/10/2002 -0600, Michelle Bakke-Purnell wrote:
>I hit pay dirt a couple of weeks ago and found Otto and his brother on the
>Ellis Island site arriving on July 15 1911.  It had listed that the place
>he was from was Baranouka.  I went on the Prussia List and they found a
>name of Baranowka in  Volhynia.  I did some searching on the Oddesa site
>and under Volhynia marriges 1880-1885 I found the marriage of his parents
>Franz Honig and Bertha Boehlke on May 1 1883 in the Rosyszcze Parish.
>
>This is what I know so far.  Otto Honig Born Aug 16 1892 - Now for years
>my mother had his place of birth as Kiselin Russia.  His birth certificate
>says Serdja Russia.  His parents were married in Volynia Rosyszcze
>parish.  How do I go about finding out where Otto was born?

It may be difficult to resolve all of these places, in particular because
Baranowka is a rather common place name.  Perhaps there have some conflicts
in stories between places of birth, marriage, etc.

First of all, Kisielin would have been in the Rosyszcze Parish.  Perhaps
that is where Franz and Bertha married.  Unfortunately the marriage records
only provide the parish, not the specific place.

I cannot find a place anywhere in Ukraine called Serdja.  However, about 32
km south of the city of Nowograd-Wolynski, on the Slucz River, is the town
of Baranowka.  About 15 km or so NW of this Baranowka is the village of
Serednja.

It would seem possible that Franz and Bertha married in Rosyszcze Parish in
1883, perhaps at Kisielin and then, a few years later, moved further east
where Otto was born at Serednja.  Further research will be required to
verify this but is seems like a reasonable explanation.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
jkfrank at shaw.ca