[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Family name

gpvjem gpvjem at sasktel.net
Sat Oct 5 20:39:28 PDT 2002

    An estimated ninety percent of the contents of SGGEE databases has been
provided by  two or three dozen hardworking and generous SGGEE member
volunteers who have extracted the information primarily from Polish German
Lutheran church records for SGGEE for the benefit of others over the past 3
years.  The remaining 10 percent (again my estimate) is from the personal
pedigree data provided by SGGEE members.
       Guarantees can not be made of course, that what you seek will be found
in SGGEE's databases or that you have not already discovered the same
information.  A cursory search of SGGEE's main databases has revealed the name
GEIKE appears only once, so far,  in Wladyslawow parish of Poland but we have
much to do yet in central Poland.   Volunteers able to decipher Polish and
Russian writing and willing to assist others with this information extraction
process are always welcome.
    Regarding the absence of any record of your Grandfather's birth in the St
Pete records, there are a myriad  reasons for the incompleteness.  Perhaps the
original record can be found in the Zhitomir archives which was not
transcribed for forwarding to St Petersburg as was to be the case.

John Marsch
SGGEE President,
Chairman Membership Committee,
Member of the Research Committee

  In the past I have subscribed to agenealogy service and joined
orrginizations
  just to find out their much advertised data banks contained only what I had
  independently found.
  Can anyone advise me of the likleyhood of getting meaningful data by
joining
  SGGEE ?  According to records I was able to find a passing reference to the
  GEIKE family placed them in an area nw of Kiev. My grandfather was born in
  Zhitomir in either 1876 or 1878 but I did not find him listed in the St.
Pete
  files. Any help to steer me in anew direction would be gratefully accepted.