[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Solenczyn (Gostynin)

Jerry Frank jkfrank at shaw.ca
Sun Oct 6 20:21:44 PDT 2002

Have not found anything like that on any map.  However, I have a suspicion
about it.

About 6 km westerly from Gostyinin is the village of
Solec.  Transliteration to a German pronunciation would result in something
like Soletz.

Just below this village, found on a modern map, are 3 other villages,
which, from west to east are Solec Gorny, Baby Solec, and Solec Dolny.

Interestingly enough, on the 1805 Gilley map, Gorny and Dolny are
reversed.  Now, also on the Gilley map, just below this 3 villages, is
Solec Glasshutte.  On the modern map, this is shown as Zielieniec.

I realize that none of these is a perfect match, but then, if it was, I
could say I found it.   :-)     But it seems that there is a progression
here that might be reflected in something like Solenczyn.

Is it possible that the witness are listed from a different nearby
village?  This may help us at least to narrow the region down a bit.  For
example, if the witnesses were from Mokro Niemieckie, we would know we were
probably in the wrong area.

At 11:59 AM 06/10/2002 -0400, albertmuth at aol.com wrote:
>I need some help determining a spelling to use for Solenczyn, Solentsczyn,
>Zale~czyn and so on.  I cannot find it in the SPIS gazetteer, and I can't
>find it
>on my maps either.  Any ideas?

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
jkfrank at shaw.ca