[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] German Word Definition

gpvjem gpvjem at sasktel.net
Mon Oct 14 15:47:48 PDT 2002

    Could be "customary", "habitual" or "usual" because it seems to be applied
only to persons who were frequent witnesses to birth/christenings.  It seems
as though they were almost on a standby basis for that duty.

John

  Probably Latin - see if the context fits:

  solitus : accustomed, usual, habitual, ordinary, customary

  At 03:47 PM 14/10/2002 -0600, gpvjem wrote:
  >     In German Lutheran church records from Poland, frequently I find the
word
  >"soltys" following the name of a witness for a birth/christening.
  >     I have not been able to find the word in any of the German
translation
  >aids I have nor in my German-English dictionary (Oxford-Duden).
  >     Can anyone provide a translation or a meaning for the word please?
My
  >curiousity is getting the better of me.

  Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
  jkfrank at shaw.ca